Saturday, September 13, 2014

One year and four days later...

I want to get back into blogging.  I've missed it, but I needed the hiatus.  I really didn't expect to come back, but many things have changed this year.

For starters, I left my job to be a full-time mom and wife again.  This past year has been very stressful and I needed to make the choice between my job or my sanity.  I chose my sanity.  I am rather attached to it. I had a good job as computer application developer and for most people, it was very flexible and fairly low stress.  But I don't have the life of most people.

I am married with three kids, one with profound special needs both developmental and medical.  We will call her the Diva.  She is 13 and a red-head.  She loves music and things that make funny noises.  She is my muse and the reason I started sewing as many things must be adapted for the wheelchair, the g-tube and her spasticity.

Her older brother, hereby known as the Scout, is 15, a freshman, clarinet player in marching band and Boy Scout.  He loves anime, Manga and cosplay.  I don't sew much for him but he and I recently completed a project to make a cloak from one of his favorite anime series.

Her little sister, aka Sprite, is 10 and a voracious reader, a 4-H member into photography and a green belt in Tae Kwan Do.  She is fun to sew for and to sew with -- she has her own Hello Kitty machine and likes to make pillows and bags and clothes for her dolls.

Dh and I have been married for 26 years.  He is another computer geek. He wants me to sew for me.  I'll get to it, hopefully this winter.  He wants me to make polo-type shirts for him to wear to the office.

I've been sewing for 12 years, since soon after the Diva was born.  She needed me at home and I needed a creative outlet.  I learned from books and the internet with an occasional class.  I love Ottobre and Kwik Sew and have started making some things from Connie Crawford's line of patterns for myself.

Dh and I just finished a remodeling project in the basement that gave him a home office as he works from home most days.  This means that I have the remainder of the family room to myself.  The next post will be more about the sewing areas.

Thanks for reading!


5 comments:

You Really Sew? said...

Welcome back, we all want to hear everything. I will need to hear what you have to say on Ottobredesign, I am in the process of teaching my DD to sew. She has 4 frm 1 year to 19. Many challenges in her life, just as yours.

Definitely want to see your sewing space.
Karen in Illinois

Donna W said...

So good to see you back.

Heather said...

When I first found sewing blogs yours was one of the first I read and enjoyed. I hope that your new life works well for you and your family. Good luck with the sewing.

Linda T said...

Look forward to seeing what comes from your sewing machine!

Eileensews said...

Glad you are back. I enjoyed reading about your family.