|Playing on the porch|
One trip to the old house was very exciting but not in a good way. DH made his usual trip, leaving after work Thursday night. I usually check in on him using the GPS app on my phone and saw that he had made it to the house. He called and I thought he said "I'm here". I said "Good, I was watching you." It took him a couple of tries before I finally understood he was saying "I hit a deer!"
Thankfully, he was unhurt -- just a little shook up. I am so glad because the area where he hit the deer is very rural and he might not have been found for a while (though my MIL also keeps tabs on him via GPS, so either of us would have noticed that he was stopped and not moving.) The car was drive-able and he continued on his way to the house.
He was lucky. Right after he got there, a really bad storm rolled through with 80 mph straight-line winds and it hit that area the worst. We lost a couple of trees but other residents had much worse damage. We were very lucky. Our car has been in the shop for the past two weeks but will be ready tomorrow.
|Cedar Tree in the middle of the pasture with the top snapped off|
|East Room ceiling fan - we bought the same fan for all three bedrooms|
Downstairs, new light fixtures have been installed in the hall coat closet, porch and entry hall and a new fan installed in the living room. The hall and living room are done except for one switch (and maybe one outlet that I requested, but they didn't see. The dining room has about half the outlets replaced and two new ones still to be installed. We bought the same fixture for the dining room as we bought for the hall but we are waiting for the new dry wall to be installed in the dining room first which won't happen until after the plumbing is done for the bathroom (located right over the dining room).
|Hall closet - eventually I'd like to replace this with a motion sensor so that it will light up when I open the door.|
|Living Room ceiling fan|
|Entry Hall light fixture - we have the same one for the dining room|
|Original Switches and painted over switch plate. The original switches have mother of pearl on the top button but they were painted over.|
The house still had the original push button switches in the hall for the porch, hall and living room. We loved the idea of the push buttons, but not the fact that the switches were not grounded. I found reproduction switches on Amazon and ordered three. One turned out to be defective, so I have requested an RMA and ordered two more to replace it (one to replace and one as a spare). I did order a bronze switch plate as I wasn't sure the original plate would fit the new switches.
|Cleaning in progress|
DH brought the original plate. I had read a tip that you could soak painted hardware in a crock pot of soapy water to soften and remove the paint. I bought a used crock pot from Goodwill and soaked the old switch plate for a couple of hours. The paint pealed right off! The plate is brass and looks very nice now that it is cleaned up. I didn't polish it to be very shiny, but wanted it to keep looking its age.
|All cleaned up|
|Clean plate with new push button switches|
Meanwhile, the plumber has been out several times in the past month. First item on his agenda was to move the main shutoff from the southeast corner of the house (right by the electric panel) to the southwest corner. Much safer! He also buried the line so that it is now four feet below ground instead of one foot so it is more protected from freezing. He also removed the cast iron and lead pipes and replaced the drain pipe going to the kitchen. He wasn't able to come today as there has been some very heavy rain in the area (like 6-10 inches).
Best of all, the new furnace and air conditioner have been installed (cue angel choir). The house has never had air conditioning before -- the previous owners were outdoor people and were comfortable without it. But the Diva doesn't handle heat well and we need an even temperature for her, so A/C is necessary. There is no duct work for the second floor, however, so we will continue to use window units until after our current home is sold and we have the cash to have the mini-splits installed next year.