Thursday, June 29, 2017

Old House Update - June

Playing on the porch
 It's been a busy month for DH at the old house.  He, Jim and BIL Pat have been moving along with the electrical work while waiting for plumbing and HVAC to be started.  Both contractors are busy but both assured us that we were on their list.  We saw progress in both areas this month which is wonderful!

One trip to the old house was very exciting but not in a good way. DH made his usual trip, leaving after work Thursday night.  I usually check in on him using the GPS app on my phone and saw that he had made it to the house.  He called and I thought he said "I'm here".  I said "Good, I was watching you."  It took him a couple of tries before I finally understood he was saying "I hit a deer!"

Deer Damage

Thankfully, he was unhurt -- just a little shook up.  I am so glad because the area where he hit the deer is very rural and he might not have been found for a while (though my MIL also keeps tabs on him via GPS, so either of us would have noticed that he was stopped and not moving.)  The car was drive-able and he continued on his way to the house.

He was lucky. Right after he got there, a really bad storm rolled through with 80 mph straight-line winds and it hit that area the worst. We lost a couple of trees but other residents had much worse damage.  We were very lucky.  Our car has been in the shop for the past two weeks but will be ready tomorrow.
Cedar Tree in the middle of the pasture with the top snapped off
Upstairs, the wiring is done in both east and south bedrooms and new ceiling fans installed in both rooms.  The west bedroom (aka DH's office) has been roughed in and waiting now for new drywall to be installed over the worst of the cracked walls.  Once that is done, they will finish the wiring in that room.  CAT-6 cable has been dropped for networking -- DH wants the house to be fully networked for future upgrades later.    Only DH's office, the bathroom (roughed in and waiting for the plumber) and the hall closet are left for wiring.  I've requested a light and an outlet in the closet as that will probably be my fabric stash closet.

East Room ceiling fan - we bought the same fan for all three bedrooms

Downstairs, new light fixtures have been installed in the hall coat closet, porch and entry hall and a new fan installed in the living room. The hall and living room are done except for one switch (and maybe one outlet that I requested, but they didn't see.  The dining room has about half the outlets replaced and two new ones still to be installed.  We bought the same fixture for the dining room as we bought for the hall but we are waiting for the new dry wall to be installed in the dining room first which won't happen until after the plumbing is done for the bathroom (located right over the dining room).
Hall closet - eventually I'd like to replace this with a motion sensor so that it will light up when I open the door.

Porch Light

Living Room ceiling fan

Entry Hall light fixture - we have the same one for the dining room
They started cutting the holes for the new outlets in the kitchen.  We are adding at least 6 outlets on three or four circuits to the kitchen.  I am not a big gadget user, but when you have a big meal going, it is nice to have those extra outlets for appliances.

Original Switches and painted over switch plate.  The original switches have mother of pearl on the top button but they were painted over.

The house still had the original push button switches in the hall for the porch, hall and living room.  We loved the idea of the push buttons, but not the fact that the switches were not grounded.  I found reproduction switches on Amazon and ordered three.  One turned out to be defective, so I have requested an RMA and ordered two more to replace it (one to replace and one as a spare).  I did order a bronze switch plate as I wasn't sure the original plate would fit the new switches.

Cleaning in progress

DH brought the original plate.  I had read a tip that you could soak painted hardware in a crock pot of soapy water to soften and remove the paint.  I bought a used crock pot from Goodwill and soaked the old switch plate for a couple of hours.  The paint pealed right off!  The plate is brass and looks very nice now that it is cleaned up.  I didn't polish it to be very shiny, but wanted it to keep looking its age.
All cleaned up

Clean plate with new push button switches

Meanwhile, the plumber has been out several times in the past month.  First item on his agenda was to move the main shutoff from the southeast corner of the house (right by the electric panel) to the southwest corner.  Much safer!  He also buried the line so that it is now four feet below ground instead of one foot so it is more protected from freezing.  He also removed the cast iron and lead pipes and replaced the drain pipe going to the kitchen.  He wasn't able to come today as there has been some very heavy rain in the area (like 6-10 inches).

Best of all, the new furnace and air conditioner have been installed (cue angel choir).  The house has never had air conditioning before -- the previous owners were outdoor people and were comfortable without it.  But the Diva doesn't handle heat well and we need an even temperature for her, so A/C is necessary.   There is no duct work for the second floor, however, so we will continue to use window units until after our current home is sold and we have the cash to have the mini-splits installed next year.
Air conditioner
 July should be very exciting.  Hopefully, the last of the rewiring will be done, the plumbing will be done and the dry wall should be in progress if not completely done.  We ordered the tiles for the shower on Monday.  It arrived yesterday and is loaded in DH's car for the next trip up.  We are really hoping to have a working shower by the end of summer!


pat in MO said...

I just found your blog. Enjoyed reading about the house Pa Lesh

SewPaula said...

Thanks, Pat!